(Monterey Park, CA) A fifteenth place in the CCCAA Women's State Swimming Championships was highlighted by the top finisher on the women's team last Thursday through Saturday (May 5-7) at East Los Angeles College.
Laila Topinio led the way for the 7-member women's team and was the top placer among both the Mt. SAC men and women in the three-day championships.
Forty-nine colleges from up and down the state competed, with Orange Coast College easily winning its 21st overall championship and the last three in a row.
Topinio, a freshman, placed third out of 66 entries in the grueling mile swim and also the 400 Individual Medley. She also finished ninth in the 500 Freestyle.
"Laila (Topinio) swam very well placing third in the 400 IM and in the mile," Mt. SAC coach Marc Ruh said. "She was our highest finisher team-wide.
"Most of the women are returning next year and are highly motivated to improve."
Other swimmers qualifying for the team were:
- Lexis Brattain - 200 Backstroke – 9th; 100 Free – 11th; 100 Back – 15th
- Melissa Chavez - 200 Breaststroke – 13th; 100 Breast – 14th
- Isabell Ortega - 200 Butterfly – 15th; 100 Fly and 100 Free
- Journey Barreto - 1-Meter Diving, 3-Meter Diving – 16th
- Parker Damaske - 50 Free, 100 and 200 backstroke
- Julia de la Garza - 400 Individual Medley, 100 and 200 Breaststroke.
Follow Mt. SAC Women's Swimming and Diving on Twitter @MtSAC_W_Aquatic
For additional information, please contact the Mt. SAC Sports Information Office at 909.274.4630.