(San Diego, CA) For the third consecutive year, the Mt. SAC Men's Track & Field Team has captured the California Community College Athletic Association Southern California Championships this past Saturday at San Diego Mesa College.
The Mounties, competing against 23 colleges, scored 231.5 points and finished ahead of second-place Riverside City College by 48.5 points (183 pts.). Placing a distant third was El Camino College with 65 points.
The CCCAA State Championships will take place this coming Friday and Saturday May 18-19 at Bakersfield Community College. Mt. SAC finished second last year, just 33 points behind champion College of the Sequoias.
At the So Cal's Mt. SAC won four running events and four field events to lead all entrants this year.
Topping the winners for the Mounties was Salvador Capetillo with two titles. The freshman distance runner won the 5,000 meter race with a time of 14:46.05 and the 10,000 meters in 32:05.64.
Capetillo has the best time in the state this year with a time of 14:26.94 in the 5,000 at the Mt. SAC Relays last month.
Sophomore hurdler Dylan Atencio, ran the fastest time in the state this season in the 400 hurdles at the So Cal's with a time of 51.19.
Daniel Stokes, who recorded the fastest time in the state this year in the preliminaries in the 200 with a time of 20.69, finished third in the finals.
Stokes, however, won the championship in the 100 with a time of 10.45, which is the second fastest this year in the state.
The Mounties swept the first five places in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, with sophomore Anthony Alfaro finishing first with a time of 9:29.28. Placing second and third was Manuel Fernandez and Colby Penn with times of 9:29.32 and 9:30.87 respectively.
Sophomore Christian Mueller, who finished fourth in state last season in the pole vault, vaulted 4.95 meters at the So Cal's for first place, which is the fourth best in the state this year.
In the triple jump, Brandon McLaurin won with a jump of 14.56 meters. He currently holds the best jump of the 2018 season in the state with a mark of 15.04 meters. McLaurin finished third in state last year.
Hector Sanchez had a personal best this season in the javelin with a throw of 59.62 meters for first place.
The fourth individual field event championship by the Mounties was Kyle Beck in the 10-event decathlon with 5,868 points.
Sophomore David Potts placed fourth in the Shot Put (14.68m) and second in the Discus (48.81m) for the Mounties.
Other top Mt. SAC So Cal finishers:
- 100m – 3rd, Gaston Bouchereau (10:49)
- 200m – 3rd, Bouchereau (21.41)
- 1500m – 3rd, Christopher Weiland (4:00.24)
- 5,000m – 5th, Fernandez (15:24.31); 6th, Alfaro (15:28.62)
- 10,000m – 2nd, Fernandez (32:23.56)
- 110m Hurdles – 2nd, Leonardo Brown (14.16); 4th, Atencio (14.94)
- 400m Hurdles – 4th, Brown (53.16)
- 3000m Steeplechase – 4th, Trelani Waters (9:32.18), 5th, Jacob Zamora (9:33.85)
- 4 X 400 Relay – 2nd, Max Petrosian, Atencio, Bouchereau, Stokes (3:14.35)
- High Jump – 6th, Timothy Sloan (1.95m)
- Pole Vault – 3rd, Aleksandris Eglitis (4.81m)
- Long Jump – 5th, Reynaldo Beech (6.86m)
- Hammer Throw – 6th, Julian Ortega (50.35m); 8th, Aaron Guerra (49.69m)
- Javelin – 2nd, Ruben Retana (58.07)
Follow Mt. SAC Track and Feld on twitter @MtSAC_T&F
For additional information, please contact the Mt. SAC Sports Information Office at 909.274.4630.