(Walnut, CA) Mountie swimmers Jonathan Olvera, Brandon Knapp, Michael Yeh and Nathan Chow won two events each to lead the Mt. SAC Swimming Team to big victories over Cerritos and Rio Hondo in a South Coast Conference double dual meet Friday (Mar. 6) at the Marie T. Mills Aquatics Center.
The Mounties defeated Cerritos, 191.5-69.5 and Rio Hondo, 221-48 to remain undefeated in the SCC with 4-0 records
Olvera won the 200 Butterfly (1:58.64) and the 200 Backstroke (2:05.72), swam a leg of the winning 200 Medley and was second in the 200 Free (1:54.02).
Yeh took first in the 100 Back (56.25), 200 Individual Medley (2:05.95), was also a member of the 200 MR team and finished second in the 200 Back (2:07.79).
Chow had victories in the two distance races - 1000 Free (10:07.60) and the 500 Free (5:03.31), and swam a leg of the first-place 400 Free Relay team.
Knapp rounded out the four, two-event winners with victories in the two Freestyle sprints - 50 Free (23.13) and the 100 Free (50.52). He was also a member of the 200 MR team.
Perhaps the best swim of the day came from Parker Egan, knocking considerable time off of his only previous race in the grueling 1000 Free.
"I will say the 1000 Free was a really good race,"Mt. SAC Men's Swimming Coach Marc Ruh said. "Nathan (Chow) won it, but Parker dropped 27 seconds to finish second, which is really impressive. That is just Parker's second time swimming that event.
"We had a lot of really good swims as the kids are pretty beat up from training right now. There were some great battles that many of our kids ended up on the winning side."
Other Mt. SAC placers:
200 Medley Relay
- 1st Place: Yeh, Marcus Lira, Olvera, Knapp (1:44.57)
- 2nd Place: Teng, Alexander Hung, Egan, Diego Hitomi (1:49.97)
- 3rd Place: Hitomi (10:51.50)
- 3rd Place: Trevor Peterson (1:58.15)
- 2nd Place: Lira (1:05.77)
- 3rd Place: Ryan Taing (1:13.87)
- 2nd Place: Egan (2:07.29)
- 3rd Place: Hung (2:12.51)
- 2nd Place: Teng (23.36)
- 3rd Place: Peterson (24.60)
- 2nd Place: Kopperud (51.53)
- 3rd Place: Barcelo (53.79)
- 3rd Place: Dominic Garza (2:16.20)
- 2nd Place: Lira (2:24.90)
- 3rd: Teng (2:31.13)
- 2nd Place: Barcelo (59.67)
- 3rd Place: Hung (1:00.73)
- 2nd Place: Lira (2:07.45)
- 1st Place: Chow, Knapp, Hitomi, Kopperud (3:30.86)
- 2nd Place: Trevor Peterson, Eddie Zambrano, Dominic Garza, Mark-Abraham Manuel (3:37.16)
The men's team will take a week off and travel to Chaffey College Friday (Mar. 20) for the next SCC meet.
Follow Mt. SAC Men's Swimming and Diving on twitter @mtsacaquatics
For additional information, please contact the Mt. SAC Sports Information Office at 909.274.4630.